Greetings testers – Adobe needs our help in diagnosing and creating reproducible test cases for some of our top crash issues related to the new protected-mode feature in Flash 11.3. Please read the following set of instructions carefully before proceeding:
In order to do useful testing, you need the following setup:
- A Firefox 16 (Nightly) build.
- Windows 7 or Vista running on a hardware machine (not in a virtual machine VM). Currently we are not focused on testing windows XP which has protected mode disabled.
- The newest Flash version, currently 11.3.300.265. Please don’t bother testing with older versions unless a bug request asks for specific verification.
If you experience a plugin crash (frowny face) while doing testing, please:
- Submit the crash report
- Go to about:crashes and visit the crash report page on crash-stats.mozilla.com
- Be patient – it may take a few minutes for the crash report page to become visible; please try reloading
We are especially looking for crashes with the following crash signatures:
* mozalloc_abort(char const* const) | NS_DebugBreak_P | mozilla::plugins::PluginInstanceChild::ShowPluginFrame()
If you experience a crash, please try to repeat the crash using the same general steps. If you can repeat the crash, please *file a new bug* in the Core:Plug-ins Bugzilla component and cc firstname.lastname@example.org. We are currently not interested in bug reports on crashes that happen only once and are not reproducible. Please include the following information in the bug report:
- A link to the crash-stats crash report
- Exact steps you took to reproduce the crash.
- Information on the graphics card and graphics driver version from about:support
- The general speed of the computer in question; we expect that some of the crashes we are tracking only occur on very slow or very fast hardware
For the time being, please *do not* add comments to existing bugs; I will personally be responsible for marking duplicates when appropriate. It is very likely that some of these crash signatures represent several different related bugs, and I don’t want to confuse the generic crash signature tracking bugs with specific fixable issues. Please do not cc anyone at adobe.com until I have looked over the report and potentially marked duplicates or asked for additional information.
Thanks in advance for your help!