Hello, Firefox Mobile testers!
Our goal is to provide you with mobile news and guidance towards how and where you as a tester can help out! Thanks for helping out; your input is greatly appreciated!
What’s New in Fennec Native UI this week?
- Aurora – 1,076, +12% from last week; Nightly – 1,172 +2.5% from last week; Beta – 25,940 +2.5% from last week
- Features to look at now: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fennec/NativeUI/NightlyFeatures
- concentration is currently more on beta readiness
- stabilization concentration : Here are searches and stuff where people can help out!
- http://shizen008.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/war-on-crashes/#respond; If you have any questions, please comment.
- Please see the testing areas, tips and tricks in how you can help!
What’s Coming up in Fennec:
- Sync Support
- Split-APK; XUL for Tablets, Native for Phones
- Profile migration (From XUL to Native profile migration)
- L10N ; String Freeze for Fx11 (Jan 30th): query ; Single-locale APKs
- Feb 27 2012: Public Announcement at Mobile World Congress
- March 30 2012: Final Release
How to download the latest Fennec NativeUI build:
- Enable ‘Unknown sources’ in Settings | Application Settings on your Android device
- Go to: http://nightly.mozilla.org
- Click and download the Android installer under the mobile section
Testing Areas, Tips and Tricks:
- Please test on various devices that can run Fennec Native
- Head to your favorite sites and file bugs on sites that do not work or don’t meet your expectations
- Play with the bookmarking and recent visits as well as the session history (forward/backwards navigation)
- Download the Zippity Addon: http://people.mozilla.com/~mfinkle/fennec/addons/testharness-mobile.xpi and go to about:testharness to perform various tests
- Explore away with testing these features https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fennec/NativeUI/NightlyFeatures
- Use logcat and other tools to monitor your logs to help your bug reports. There are options:
- You can install Android SDK such as : http://aaronmt.com/?p=503
- a system monitor tool such as : https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eolwral.osmonitor&hl=en
- or alogcat : https://market.android.com/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat&hl=en ; alogcat allows you to send your log elsewhere.
- Nightly builds now support Flash (on Android 2.3 and Android 2.2)
- Note: you will need to download and have installed the latest version of the Flash Player from the Android Market
- For more tips and tricks see : http://shizen008.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/exploratory-testing-crash-course-2/#respond
We want to hear from you!
- If youthink you’ve discovered a bug, you have options:
- Discuss the issue in this email newsgroup
- you can file it in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org) under the product: “Fennec Native“, or just follow this link: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fennec%20Native.
- Newsgroup archive is available : https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/android-mobile-nightly-testers/
- Feel free to discuss issues you encountered in this email newsgroup!
- You can also feel free to message this mailing list if you have questions in regards to features: https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-platforms-mobile
- Any feedback on the newsletter can go to:Naoki at email@example.com
- To subscribe : please go to https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/android-mobile-nightly-testers
Til next time,
The Mobile QA Team