Hey Firefox Mobile for Android testers,
Welcome to those new that have joined the newsgroup. This is a biweekly newsletter to those that are testing Firefox Mobile in any release channel. Our goal is to provide you with general mobile related news and guidance towards how and where you, as a tester can help out! This newsletter will highlight general news and and status information about the Aurora Channel.
- How to download the latest aurora:
- download: fennec-9.0a2.multi.android-arm.apk
- open the file that was downloaded
What’s New in Aurora
- Even faster start-up!
- New user interface for tablets! This is hotness! Check it out!
- Support for Open Web Apps
- Locale picker has been added; read more about it here : http://digdug2k.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/downloadable-locales-in-fennec/
- Camera API has been added. You can test the camera API by going to the sample test page: http://people.mozilla.com/~fdesre/capture/
- Virtual Keyboards (aka SKB, VKB, Soft Keyboards) : could always use some help in terms of testing. With your favorite keyboard type in web pages, please help with the testing.
- Website Compatibility : social sites like google plus, facebook; banking sites ; blogs, rss feeds, meme pages like reddit to give an example of some of the sites that we would love for you to use as an end user. Please use your favorite sites!
- Content copy/paste to clipboard could use more testing
- Please report any websites/STRs for checkerboarding issues
- Telemetry has landed. Please enable it!. You can find this in the Preference->Feedback-> Send performance data. Details on what Telemetry is does can be read on mfinkle’s blog ( http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2011/08/firefox-mobile-send-performance-data/ )
- Ted has landed an addon called Android Symbol Sender ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/addon/android-symbol-sender/ ). It provides us with symbols to look at a crash stack properly. Please install this if you are experiencing crashes in Firefox Mobile.
- If you are interested in the latest news regarding crashes on a weekly basis to see what is getting fixed and what remains, there is a weekly crash report available for viewing at: https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=QA/Fennec/crash_rep_26Sept2011
- If you do crash, please go to about:crashes and check to see if your crash was listed. If your crash was listed, please click on the link to verify that the crash was sent to Socorro.
- What’s new on various channels : https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#What.27s_new.3F
- If you run into a bug, please file a bug in Bugzilla under the Fennec product ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fennec ). If you aren’t sure how or don’t want to file bugs, then please send a message to the dev-platforms-mobile mailing list: https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-platforms-mobile
- If you have feedback on the newsletter itself, please send email to email@example.com
Thanks so much for reading and testing!
Til next time,
The Mobile QA Team