On January 26th 2012 , the Thunderbird team is organizing a Testday. Our objective is to make sure that we aren’t breaking anything for people that will update from 3.1.x to 10.
Instructions on how to participate and how to join are available here : https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:QA_TestDay:2012-01-26
from the wiki (please make sure to read the wiki on the day – as it might get updated):
With the release of Thunderbird 10 approaching, the fact that our ESR version of Thunderbird will be based on it and that 3.1.x is approaching end of life, we need to test updates from 3.1.17 to 10.0b and make sure that we can catch any major errors. At the same time we would like to document support issues so that our support is more efficient when people do the update in the next few weeks.
To do so we would like to have a test day focused on Updating from the latest 3.1 series (ie to date 3.1.17) to the latest 10 series (to date 10b4). And we would like participants to provide feedback and notify of all the issues they might find while updating.
How to participate
- Run Thunderbird 3.1.17
- Change update the channel of your Thunderbird:
- stop Thunderbird
- In the Thunderbird install directory (or .app on mac) edit the default/prefs/channel-pref.js and change the line pref(“app.update.channel”, “release”); to pref(“app.update.channel”, “betatest”);
- save the file
- start Thunderbird
- On Windows and Linux, go to Help -> check for updates (Thunderbird -> check for updates on the mac)
- Apply the update
- verify that things that were working are still working
- Join us on IRC (irc.mozilla.org, in #tb-qa – see below in Things to know how to join) on January the 26th 2012, and ask any question and give feedback.
- Feedback will be consolidated for support purposes on an etherpad at https://etherpad.mozilla.org/3-1to10supportpad